I was thinking about the different times it takes me to respond through different platforms.
Things that are important and urgent get dealt with reasonably well – they have to. But for things that aren’t important and urgent, (but are often ‘important/valuable/interesting’) it looks something like this:
- Twitter – within 1 day
- Facebook – within 2 days
- Phone/voicemail – within 2 days
- LinkedIn – within 2-3 days
- Email – 1-2 weeks to never
- IM – don’t use!
What does it tell us? F*** all, I expect. Other than email is the bottom of the heap. I just can’t keep up. And I don’t enjoy keeping up. Somehow I enjoy keeping up on Twitter, and LinkedIn is fine too.
Issues this throws up:
- People waiting for email get pissed off when they see me idly chatting in Twitter
- I feel extremely guilty about the email – that people think I think I’m better than them, but it’s not that
- That the enjoyment of a given communication platform might be a point of leverage for product/service designers
How does it look for you?